Add a "Chocolate Stop" Farm Tour to your Hamakua Coast drive. Mauna Kea Cacao is conveniently located off of Highway 19 between Pepeekeo and Akaka Falls. The farm is a 15-minute drive from Old Town Hilo.
Farm Tour Description
Public farm tours are offered Thursdays at 10:00 am and 1:00 pm and Fridays at 10:00 am. During the 90-minute tour, you will:
- Explore a working cacao farm with 1,800 cacao trees.
- Learn how award-winning cacao is grown, harvested, fermented and dried.
- See and smell drying cacao beans.
- Harvest and crack open a cacao pod to taste fresh cacao.
- Taste roasted cacao nibs.
- See DIY craft chocolate making equipment.
- Taste commercially produced chocolate made from our single-estate cacao.
- Enjoy farm-style Hawaii chocolate.
This tour is suitable for people who can walk 1/2 mile on uneven surfaces that may be wet, muddy and/or slippery. Weather is changeable and rain may occur at any time.
Closed-toe shoes, hats, rain jacket or umbrella, sunscreen and insect repellant are recommended. Mauna Kea Cacao LLC is a working farm. Visitors will sign a liability waiver before beginning the tour.
Our outdoor tours are limited to 12 people and conform to applicable Covid-19 prevention measures. Hawaii no longer requires that masks be worn for outdoor activities. Hand sanitizer, masks and gloves are available for those who wish to use them.
Tour prices are $40 per adult and $15 per child (5-17 years of age). Children under 5 are free. Hawaii tax will be added.
For best availability, please purchase tickets well in advance. Full refunds are available if tours are cancelled at least 2 hours in advance. We appreciate your consideration in cancelling as soon as you realize your plans have changed. Mauna Kea Cacao LLC reserves the right to cancel tours and will provide full refunds if tours are cancelled.
Directions to the farm and additional information will be provided after ticketing.